He said to them,
"Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15
The vision of the Evangelization Team is a vibrant parish - - where people feel connected to a community of believers -- where parishioners do more than attend Mass but also share their gifts -- where everyone feels welcome. We want to see St. Luke be a parish on fire with love for the Lord.
In January of 2008, a group of St. Luke parishioners gathered in the chapel and viewed a Power Point presentation entitled "Dreams and Visions: Your role in passing on the Faith". This presentation layed the foundation for an overall Pastoral Plan that creates opportunities for people to experience conversion.. The consensus of the group was positive and thus the Evangelization Team was formed.
"The Church's catechetical mission aims to help the faithful of all ages to grow in both human and Christian maturity, enriching the whole of life with the leaven of the Gospel. Consequently, appropriate goals and content will embrace all the faith dimensions of an adult life - for example, understanding and communicating the faith, skills needed for personal growth, the experience of family life, relationships, public service, and concern for the common good."
"(Adult Catechesis in the Christian Community) specifies the following three goals to guide and direct efforts in adult faith formation:
- Invite and Enable Ongoing Conversion to Jesus in Holiness of Life.
- Promote and Support Active Membership in the Christian Community.
- Call and Prepare Adults to Act as Disciples in Mission to the World.
Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us - #64; 67-70
Since that first gathering the team has been studying and evaluating what we offer as a parish in the way of continuing formation for all age groups. We looked at what works and what doesn't work, and from this developed an "Event" list; a list of activities, gatherings and events that we will work toward implementing over the next year.
That is the future of the Evangelization Team. To date we have also accomplished or set in motion the following:
- A more personal registration process for new parishioners
- A babysitter training class through the Red Cross
- A weekend survey to discover what the parishioners want to know in regards to the parish and their faith. (Answers are currently being published in the bulletin each week).
- Awakening Faith - a collaborative effort between St. Luke and St. Charles to offer a process by which Catholics who have been away from the Church can comfortably find their way back.
- The St. Monaca Ministry - a support and prayer group for anyone praying for a family member to return to the Church.
- The Geezers vs. Gazelles Thanksgiving Day flag football game.
- Christmas Carol Festival
- The expansion of Youth Ministry and Young Adult Ministry into a more regional approach with activities and events.
- Seeking Christ - a way for those interested in becoming Catholic to explore the faith before entering into the formal RCIA process.
- Parish Survey
On the burner:
- Family Promise project
- Family oriented service projects
- Retreat mornings for children
- Living Life Liturgically: Advent and Christmas - a process to reclaim the peace and spirituality of the season.